Monday, December 14, 2020

A Glimpse of Last Christmas

 


That's a picture of my youngest, taken one year ago today. She is my last "Little" in a sea of adult children. 

When I woke her up this morning, the first thing she wanted was for me to look at the school Dojo. She insists we check for announcements all the time, to see if there's anything fun going on. I'm glad she reminded me to look today. I've been so busy lately, I'd barely noticed we were in our second week of December. Today was, "Dress in Red & White Day."  I almost panicked. Where the heck was I going to get a red and white shirt for dress up day at 6 am on a Monday morning?

That's when her sharp little memory kicked in and she told me her Christmas dress-up outfit was still hanging in her close from last year. I crossed my fingers and took a peek.  To my relief, not only was it still there, but it still fit! My bottom was saved, and she looked so stinking cute after I put her hair in pigtails with red hair ties.

I spoke too soon. I thought my bacon was saved. Until her ever so sharp memory started working over time, and my little monkey starts asking me when are we going to see Santa so she can sit on his lap and make another gingerbread house. 

Oh. Snap.

She never forgets a thing, does she? And neither does FB, because the second I logged in, I was reminded CLEARLY that a year ago on this very day, my Little was wearing this same outfit. Her big eyes were glowing from all the Christmas Magic being spread around the Clubhouse when we indeed, took her to sit on Santa's lap. She had such a great time, having breakfast with Mommy, Daddy, Mr. and Mrs. Clause, make her gingerbread house while drinking all the hot cocoa she wanted.

And you know what? Trying to explain to a little five year old bright eyed munchkin that Covid was just going to make it impossible for Santa to do that this year- well it just plain sucked. There, I said what I said. It absolutely sucked and I felt mean and Grinchy for having to tell her that. 

I promised that we would still decorate a gingerbread house together. And I will keep that promise. She asked if we could see Santa next year. That's a promise I couldn't make, but I told her I would try very hard. 

I hope she enjoys today, and I'm glad they made this week festive at school. Not just because it might be the only holiday fun some of these children have, but because it may be the last time they all see each other for awhile. Our school, like many across the country, will be going virtual again after the holiday break. It kills me that life is so interrupted for these Little's. They are only small for a short time.My adult kids certainly prove that. It saddens me that as much as her memory retains, she won't have those charming memories to look back next year like she did today.      


      

No comments:

Post a Comment

  From Kimberlee Dodge: The Haunting of Hope Farm The Conclusion of the Jack Cohen Series! Following their sudden departure from the Schoo...